Saturday, April 14, 2007

Ahhhh.....Fitted Knits!

This book is my new obsession...Fitted Knits by Stefanie Japel. She has got to be my favorite designer out there right now. I've coveted her designs from Knitty and MagKnits for some time now and I just realized that my favorite sweaters that I've seen advertised under other yarn labels or pattern companies were also designed by her! Her style is so appealing to me and you just can't be all-in-one-piece construction. Ok, I'm drooling now...

That said, I'm working on the Airy Wrap Sweater from the book. I decided to give it a go with some Caron Simply Soft in Orchid. Not my favorite yarn ever, but the color is fantastic, it worked to the correct gauge, and I had it on hand (I'm trying soooo hard to use up what I have before I buy more). It's turning out fantastic and I just couldn't wait to post pictures, even though it's not finished yet.

The first picture (taken with flash) shows the color of the yarn really well, but doesn't show the detail all that great. It's amazing how a pattern of such simplicity can look so complex and intricate. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the first side tie and tried it on last night. I'm so thrilled with the fit and the color. It will be perfect on our vacation to throw on over a thin-strapped camisole before dinner. I'll have to be careful not to snag it, but the yarn is so cheap and it's working up so fast, I might not even be mad if I snag it.

This photo was taken without flash at 10:00 p.m., so it's a bit dark, but it does show more of the pattern and design details. Ooooohhh, I love it!

Of course I should mention that I'm once again abandoning other projects to finish this. Projects on the needles at this very minute, in order of importance to me (which BTW does not indicate importance to the recipient! picture me with a sheepish toothy grin)

  1. Airy Wrap Sweater - Fitted Knits (for me, done in Caron Simply Soft)
  2. Travel Wrap (Quillow) - Knit.1 last year sometime (for the Girl, done in Caron Simply Soft)
  3. Twinkle Toes Socks - Cookie A. (from Knitty Gritty) (for me, done in overdyed Wool Ease)
  4. Breezy Cables Cardigan - Interweave Knits, Spring 2006 (for me, done in TLC Essentials)
  5. Wavy Boxes Baby Blanket - Ellen Lynch (for a friend's baby, double strands of Red Heart Soft Baby)
  6. Picovoli T Shirt - Grumperina via MagKnits (Knit Picks Shine Sport)
  7. Hooded Pullover - Patons Weekend Retreat pattern booklet (for me, TLC Essentials)
  8. Pashmina Cowl - Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson (unknown chenille)
  9. One Cable Scarf - One Skein by Leigh Radford (hand dyed Lion Wool)
  10. Warm Up America! Blocks using miscellaneous stash acrylic (Red Heart Super Saver)
  11. Last but not least...a stripy poncho from Vogue Knitting on the Go! Ponchos (Red Heart Super Saver)

I shouldn't really put that the charity blocks that low on the list, because they are very important to me. I can't believe it took me this long to realize that they are the perfect use for my old acrylic. Clever choice of stitch patterns can give you a surprisingly soft fabric for acrylic. I've also learned through the years that solids are usually softer than variegated, and once I use up all the Red Heart, I'll switch to TLC Essentials for my charity knitting. Love that stuff.

I'll get to posting pictures of these other items in progress...I really need to finish Breezy Cables!

No comments: