Monday, April 7, 2008

It's Monday...how 'bout some more snow?

It's official, I live in the craziest weather state in the entire U.S. of A. Let me tell you about the past week and I'm sure you'll agree with me. Last Monday, March 31 (when I last posted), gave us 6" of new snow. It snowed the entire day and into the night. I protested and refused to shovel. The week continued and slowly warmed up enough to melt the snow by Thursday afternoon. It made it up to 60 according to the thermometer in my van, but it was windy so it felt a bit cooler than that.

Then came Friday and it was like heaven. The boys and I walked Sam down to the park. They played at the playground and I walked Sam around and around the grounds because he - like all of us - have a few winter pounds to shed. It was 60 degrees and we were out without jackets. You just can't fully appreciate how wonderful that feels until you've also experienced standing outside in -30 F with windchills of -40 F.

Saturday was even better - it got up to 65!!! Spring in Minnesota is hilarious because on the first good day everybody is outside from sun-up to sun-down and beyond. We've been so starved for fresh air. My daughter wore a tank top, shorts and flip flops. We and the two neighbors behind us all had fires and all the kids ran between yards playing together. I raked up the mucky, mildewy grass to get some air flow in there. Mr. T and I went to Home Depot and bought a new grill. Then we went to Target and bought T-ball sets for both boys. THEN we went to Wal-mart and bought a bigger bike for B. to replace his little 12"-er. They were all thrilled. We went to bed smelling like a campfire. Doesn't get much better than that.

Sunday was like someone flipped a switch. It rained all day. And it was cold, but just enough above freezing to keep the rain from turning into snow. The boys wanted so badly to play with their T-ball sets again, but they settled for cruising around the unfinished basement on their scooters.

Which brings us to today...and more snow. It isn't enough to cover the grass, but it is stuck to everything. Can we finally say enough is enough?

The next person to say "global warming" is gonna get it.

No comments: