Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Happy Boy has a New Hat!


Happy Boy
Originally uploaded by JRoKnits
My son needed a good wool winter hat. The only hand knit hat he had was acrylic. That just ain't gonna cut it around here.

I knew it had to be wool and it had to be warm. As luck would have it, I had just bought Knitting Around (quite possibly THE best book for basic patterns in the whole world) and fell in love with the Very Warm Hat. My typical fear of the unknown - in this case, fair isle - has been less than usual lately. It's amazing, but I have actually wanted to try it.

This seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it. I started it in the car no less, on the way to Pierz to pick up our venison from Thielen's. If you're ever in central MN, look them up and buy some bacon. You won't be sorry!

I digress.

The color work went amazingly well. Here's the weird thing. I've crocheted longer than I've knit. I hold the yarn to crochet exactly how you hold it when knitting continental, yet I can't knit continental to save my life. However when I knit the colorwork in this hat, I held the yarn one in each hand and it worked out beautifully. No tangling, no twisting, tension remained constant. The tension was what had me the most worried, but it all seemed to even out magically.

So now I'm getting ready to start my first colorwork yoke sweater. I'm going to do the patterns from the Lite Lopi Pullover in The Best of Interweave Knits (because I love that Bohus look), yet follow EZ's EPS. That seems to be how many have found success with that sweater.

I also want to revamp the Hourglass Sweater. It's lovely, it really is, but I just can't wear it. The neckline touches my neck and I can't stand it. I'm going to rip out the neck for sure and I'll either redo it as is (only earlier) or I'll rip the yoke out completely and do a wide neck, u-neck, or colorwork. Not sure yet, but I have to do something to make it wearable again. It's too pretty and fits too well to sit in my closet.

No comments: