Thursday, August 20, 2009
Hoo-ray for stash busting!
I finished both pairs of August socks for the Socks from the Toe Up KAL on Ravelry by August 17th. What to do with the rest of the month? I didn't really care to make another of either pattern so I dove into the sock scrap box.
I've been wanting to do this ever since I saw the Blender Socks on Ravelry by Heather Sebastian. I used Wendy D. Johnson's Basic Slip Stitch Socks pattern from the Socks from the Toe Up book and scraps from 4 different socks.
I did the toes all with one yarn because it's just easier that way. I also tried something new. I rounded the toe slightly by doing the first 3 increases consecutively rather than on alternating rounds. That worked out really well.
Once the toes were done, I started using another yarn on every other round, carrying it up the side (I put that side on the inside of my foot). I did the heel turn with one yarn, then the heel flap and gusset join with another. I continued alternating on the leg, adding new yarns as I ran out. I didn't use any particular order and as you can tell, the socks are fairly fraternal, but that does not bother me one bit. I thought I had equal yardage of everything, but apparently I did not because you can see in the sock on the right that I had to use another yarn at the very top.
No big deal at all and I really adore these! They are comfy and cute and fun and everything a handknit sock should be. These socks are the ones that have made me decide once and for all that I need some clogs or some other type of shoes so show of my socks.
Best of all, I was able to take what could have been seen by some as throw away yarn and make it into something supremely useful!
On to the next!