Thursday, September 20, 2007

It's not fair!!!

My Thursday Yarn Fondling Frolic has been foiled!

Didn't I tell you about the Fondling Frolic? Good grief, where've I been?

I sought and found a local yarn shop, Silver Creek Cabin, in Buffalo, Minnesota. As luck would have it, I have 1 1/2 hours to kill in Buffalo each week because The Follower has occupational and speech therapy at Buffalo Hospital each week. Weekly yarn fondling! What luck, huh? During the summer, therapy was on Mondays. Once I'd finally found this place (Buffalo is a little bit oddly laid out, let's just say), I practically ran to the door only to find that they are CLOSED on Mondays!

I kinda go into heart failure upon entering real live yarn shops, so for me to finally get to this store and be prepared to go in, only to find that it was closed, was a blow my poor ticker was not prepared for. So Mondays were spent moping around Wal-mart.

Now that school has started, therapy was moved to Thursday late afternoons. Chance paid me another kindness in the knowledge that the store, which usually closes at 5:oo, is open until 7:00 p.m. on Thursdays, sometimes later if they have classes! I wish I knew how to type the sound I made when I saw the sign. I fondled several skeins of sock yarn for 30 minutes - now that I've overcome my initial fear of socks, then SSS (you know what that is) - I've managed to make several socks and I want MORE. Because socks are infinitely practical, I think I could buy a ball of sock yarn without having an anxiety attack.

I was ready to do so tonight. Go buy sock yarn, then go buy chili powder, coffee, and pop.

Here's the not fair part. Follower's darling occupational therapist is sick today! Only 45 minutes to kill now. This would be fine if I knew exactly what I wanted...but I don't. It might even be fine if Buffalo was an easily navigable gridlike town with no road construction currently taking place...but it's not. The detour combined with the maze of roads - not to mention that if I don't come home bearing more caffeine I might be forced to hurt myself - is sadly going to delay my sock yarn fondling/buying another week.

My sock binge has produced 4 complete pairs of socks, with another waiting for its mate. I located enough only slightly crappy and still sock-worthy yarn in my stash to make at least a couple more pairs. I'll be ok. I just gotta take deep breaths.

If all else fails, I still have my 2nd Clapotis to keep me company (Patons Decor in Secret Garden - breathtaking colorway, at least to me, and not itchy, at least to me), plus the I-cord for the Pennant Pleated Malagaiter, the chenille cowl, the Cozy V-Neck Pullover from Fitted Knits, and the Breezy Cables Cardigan from Knits, Spring 2006.

Oh yeah. And the Ombre Acrylic Blanket from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. It was supposed to be a housewarming gift for my brother back in May. I'm now shooting for a birthday gift in November. It's taunting me.

Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenny,
Finaly got a chance to view your blog, wow.. looks like knitting has taken over your spare time! I am part of two knitting groups that if you want to become part of we would love to have you. I would love to start my own blog with some of the stuff I have done.. perhaps you could give me some advice>
Laura B.