Monday, March 26, 2007

I must confess...

...I have an addiction...to fingerless mitts! It all started last summer....

It was the summer edition of Knitty and I fell in love with Fetching - how could you not? I had to have them. My first attempt was lackluster (note the curling bind off edge on the green pair). That was Ella Rae 100% wool worsted (very nice, BTW). There was another green pair that crashed and burned and are now in the wool scrap pile.

The next attempt was with leftover red Wool-Ease. I did a garter border at the top to keep them from curling. Not the most attractive finish, but it did work and they have served me well. The top pair is Cabled Fingerless. The pattern is darling and the thumb is really easy. I love these and want to make another pair in something other than yellow Wool-Ease. Can you tell I was trying to reduce my stash? Next time I may decrease a bit in the stockinette part of the hand because that was a little looser than I might really like.
Another wonderful pair, though a little long on the fingers, is Vino Arm Warmers. I made mine with Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted in Kiwi (I think?). I'm kinda into green. I really love me the Lamb's Pride...I got a thing for single ply yarn.

Oh, and I guess I can't forget these.
These are the Earthtone Wristwarmers from Orange Fish Knits. I give the pattern an A++++ for ease, coolness, and funtionality. However, my yarn choice is ghastly - Lion Wool in Autumn Sunset. It looked pretty in the ball, but knitted in this pattern, it's horrible and does nothing for the cables. I'll probably do these again in Patons SWS or a semi-solid hand-dye wool. I knit these in the round not realizing that the pattern was written for them to be made flat, then seamed. After the bind off row for the thumb, I cast on one additional stitch and knit 2 together to make the rejoin extra secure. I didn't modify the stitch count at all. I really like the way these fit and want more, but in a better color!

Now on to my absolute favorite yet...Dashing! For these I used 1 ball of Lion Wool that I hand-dyed with Kool-Aid (more about that tomorrow). I'm wearing these as I type and I adore them! Here's me with the swatch I made out of the last little bit of yarn. I followed the instructions for size "smaller", but it was still too long or me, so I ripped and modified. I did only 18 rounds of rib following the last cable round, before the thumb placement round. After thumb placement, I did only 10 rounds. Lastly, for the thumb, I did 6 rounds and it was just right.
Thus, my addiction to wrist warmers, fingerless gloves, whatever you want to call them. Can't beat 'em for working at a cold desk!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

You obviously like fingerless mitts as much as me! Gorgeous mitts!!

Jen said...

They are definitely my current fave! As a person who loves to *start* projects, it's nice to have one that is finished before I can get bored with it!